Who Am I?
Have you ever ponder this question of “who am I?”. No, this is not a trick question. I used to ponder on this question daily ……. just soul searching on finding the ME.
We often grow up with ideas of who we want to be……..influenced by our parents, our teachers, peers and surrounding environments. We mould ourselves to that image equating it to our Ideal Self in search of our identity, constantly re-considering ourselves and revolving around who we strive to be.
On occasions, when we face major changes in our lives that affect us severely, we may be confronted with these thoughts – Who am I? What am I doing here?
Ever travelled down this road? When it happens, it can sometimes bring down our self -esteem, or confidence and may affect how much we value ourselves. I have undergone numerous changes in various stages of my younger life, and each time rediscovered a new improved me, becoming much stronger after each challenge that I successfully faced.
So how can we overcome this matter to embrace the Real You?
To be the real authentic you, you need to engage life as you would like to live it and build the wisdom and resolution to be true to your self. You have to be the person who can see and understand life is what is, and to accept everything without any emotional attachments, letting go of the past and moving forward, living in the moment.
- Be deeply aware of your own thoughts, emotions, voice and actions.
- Recognize and stay true to your core values and principles in life.
- Learn about yourself – get to know your hopes, your fears, your dreams. What makes you happy? What scares you? What can you accept in your life?
- Spare some time daily to analyze your day. How did you react to it and was the outcome acceptable by you? Was it who you want to be in handling the daily affairs of your life? If not, what can you do to change it for the better? I personally find the best time is before bedtime where I calm my mind and go through my day to see what made me happy and what was not so conducive to being my ideal self and how I can change matters to become my happy ideal self.
- Figure out what you can do to change or improve yourself and start taking positive actions to do so.
- Write your positive affirmations down and read them daily to remind yourself, if you need to.
- Focus on yourself and the changes to becoming YOU. Don’t focus on things you do not want. Focus your thoughts on things and changes you want positively.
- Find your inner strength and will power to master your mind to do things that will change you to become the “YOU” you want to be and the life you wish to have.
- Last but not least, cultivate peace and tranquility to control your emotions and build good habits, so that you may let go of anger, hate and greed. This bit is the hardest to do but with tiny reinforced steps every day, it is achievable.
Be your self, not someone else.
Live your life, not someone else’s.